Frequently Asked Questions
What is a psychologist?
Psychologists must successfully complete rigorous professional entry requirements. To become a registered psychologist in Alberta, completion of a masters degree is required, as well as 1600 hours of supervised practice and comprehensive oral and written exams. Psychologists adhere to a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
This level of training and supervised practice is what distinguishes psychologists from other mental health providers.
Are my sessions confidential?
- risk of harm to yourself or others
- neglect or abuse of a minor child or dependent adult
- subpoena by courts
How long are sessions?
How many sessions are required?
How do I know if I need counselling?
- you are feeling overwhelmed, and your problems do not seem to improve despite your best efforts
- you are having difficulties in your relationships
- it is difficult to carry out your daily routine, performance at work is affected, relationships are strained, or you are not feeling like you are coping effectively
- You are using alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex, or other means that are negatively affecting your life
- You feel unhappy or hopeless
What is the cost?
My fee for individual and couples sessions is $195/hour.
Alberta Health Care does not cover the cost of psychological services. However, I will issue a receipt for fees paid, and if you have an insurance plan, this may be submitted to your insurance company for full or partial re-imbursement.
Do you offer any evening or weekend appointments?
How do I know if it’s the right fit for me?
In order to determine if we are a good fit for each other, I offer a free 20 minute consultation.
What can I expect in a first session?
Alcoholics Anonymous Calgary – http://calgaryaa.org
Sex Addicts Anonymous – https://saa-recovery.org
Calgary Al-Anon – http://calgaryal-anon.org
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health – http://www.camh.ca
The Science of Addiction – http://www.drugabuse.gov
National Institute on Mental Health – http://www.nimh.nih.gov
Grief Support Services – http://www.albertahealthservices.ca
Distress Centre – http://www.distresscentre.com
Lawyer Referral Service Calgary – https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca
College of Alberta Psychologists – https://www.cap.ab.ca
Psychologists’ Association of Alberta – https://psychologistsassociation.ab.ca/
EMDR International Association – http://www.emdria.org
EMDR Canada – http://emdrcanada.org